- Introduction: Sálim Ali Centre for Ornithology and Natural History (SACON) will be conducting a Training Programme on “Ornithology and Wild life Conservation” for Wildlife enthusiasts. Individuals without any formal training and experience in wild life biology/conservation will be given preference. The programme will involve two days of class room sessions at SACON followed by a day of field visit to a Protected Area (PA).
- About SACON: The Sálim Ali Centre for Ornithology and Natural History (SACON) is a Centre of Excellence under the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Government of India situated in Anaikatty, 25 km away from Coimbatore city. SACON’s mission is “ help conserve India’s biodiversity and its sustainable use through research, education and people’s participation, with birds at the centre stage ”. SACON’s chief activities are conservation education, research and training, and dissemination of information to local communities.
- Course details: Birds are one of the important and relatively well studied groups of organisms in the world. Bird watching is one of the most well accepted hobbies around the world. Hundreds of bird watchers from various parts of the country and abroad have contributed to the extensive knowledge on Ornithology available on this date in our country. The programme will include lectures by SACON faculty/ resource persons from outside and will be on basics of Indian wildlife and Ornithology, Identification and methods of study of wildlife including birds and their conservation issues. The field visit will include a day’s trip to a Protected Area (PA) near to Coimbatore. There will be walks through Nature Trail on SACON campus. During the walk the participants will be introduced to natural history observations and bird watching.
- Duration: 3 days (28th to 30th November 2018)
- Medium of instruction : English
- Eligibility: The training programme is open to all class of individuals including students of age 20 and above.
- Number of participants: 12 (Twelve)
- Fee: Total fee for this course is Rs. 6,000/- per head (Rupees Six thousand only), which includes cost towards food and accommodation at SACON, travel to the field site and back. At SACON accommodation will be provided on sharing basis .The fee has to be paid by demand draft of any nationalized bank in favour of The Director, SACON, Coimbatore, or by wire transfer to the following account:
Account Number: 2110415676
IFSC Code: CBIN0282106, Central Bank of India, Nanjundapuram Branch
Email address for notification of payment details: email@example.com
- How to apply: Applications from interested candidates must include a brief write- up explaining their motivation to participate in this short course along with the application in prescribed format. Selection of candidates will be based on their write- up and C.V. Applications should reach the Course Coordinator on or before 30.10.2018. Shortlisted candidates will be intimated about their selection for the course subsequently. The participants will also be given a certificate of participation at the end of the course.
- For more details, contact:
Dr. P. Pramod,
Principal Scientist and Course Coordinator
Training Programme on Ornithology & Wildlife Conservation
Sálim Ali Centre For Ornithology and Natural History
URL : http://www.sacon.in