Salim Ali Centre for Ornithology & Natural History (SACON), Anaikatty, Coimbatore, is now opening a programme of Nature camps for School students. The second batch registration will start from 1st January 2018 for the period of three months (January to March 2018). These camps will introduce the basic ecological concepts; enhance observation and interpretation skills of children through activities, games and interactive sessions. This camp will be a short training on ornithology with introduction to various environmental concepts. Each participant will be given a certificate of participation in the camp. The nature camp will be suitable to children from 6th to 9th Standard. This can be inclusive of children with alternative learning abilities.
We offer the chance of attending the short term camp of two days and one night duration. Participants have to arrange their travel to SACON and back on their own.
- No. of Participants – Min: 20, Max: 30 accompanied by maximum two teachers.
- A fee of Rs. 1500/- per head. (Fee includes the expenses of food, accommodation and a kit of Nature Education materials and the charges for the usage of binoculars and books used in the camp)
- Students should bring blankets and walking shoes.
- Binoculars will be given for use on double/ triple sharing basis.
- Students will be accommodated in rooms and tents on sharing basis.
- A camp kit will be given which will contain identification brochures of birds, butterflies, Odonates (dragonflies and damselflies) and plants, pen, pencil, notepad, eraser, sharpner and a sling bag.
Day wise Camp Programme – Two day and one night
On the similar line, option 2 gives the chance of attending a short term camp of two day and one night duration. All camp criteria are the same except the fee and schedule. Fee for the two day camp will be Rs.1500/- per head.
|10:00- 11:30||Arrival of Children, Introduction to the camp (Ice breaking activity, Introduction to SACON, forest, do’s and don’ts of the camp)|
|11:30- 13:00||Introduction to the world of birds- interactive session.|
|14:00- 16:00||Introduction to the world of insects/ snakes – interactive session.|
|16:15- 17:00||Nature Games on camouflage.|
|17:15- 18:15||Nature Walk and Sounds of Nature I (dusk).|
|19:00- 20:00||Star gazing and Night watch – Roosting of birds/ butterflies|
|06:00- 07:00||Sounds of Nature II ( dawn )|
|07:15- 09:00||Nature Walk/ Bird watching.|
|09:30- 13:00||Outdoor Nature activities and games (Sound and seek, food chain, dumb charades)|
|14:00- 16:00||Nature games and activities (Bark fingerprint, Role play, Nature Skit)|
|16:00- 17:00||Valedictory session (Feedback and Sharing of experience by participants, Certificate distribution to participants)|
|17:00- 17:15||Tea and departure|
Brief of activities to be conducted:
- Nature Walk and Bird watching: Children will be taken on walks in different tracks inside the forest in and around SACON campus. These walks are planned such that they would be able to experience shrub forests and dry deciduous forests and also see the difference. Bird watching is also introduced to make them understand the importance of keen observation and simultaneously enjoy the beauty and the role of birds and wildlife in our lives. Children will be made to listen to various sounds through acoustic equipments.
- Sounds of Nature: During dawn and dusk the children will be introduced to the soundscape of the forested surroundings.
- Pick an insect: This game will introduce them to the concept of camouflage and the ecological role of camouflage in nature.
- Bark Fingerprint: Bark of trees is unique for each species like our finger print. Feel it by touch, smell, observation and learn about them in this field activity.
- Sound and Seek: Prey predator relationship of animals is complicated natural phenomenon. How do they understand and deal with each other in a forest, how they communicate with each other; all these aspects are conveyed in this game.
- Role Play: This game will introduce to the students some vital environmental problem of our surrounding and the students have to involve, learn in the activities through the medium of role play.
- Food chain: To make children understand the importance of biodiversity, interdependence among the organisms and also the importance of ecological balance a simple innovative game on food chain will be played.